Everton news

Osman commits despite uncertain future

May 24, 2013
By Mike Whalley

Leon Osman insists that he was happy to commit his future to Everton despite the uncertainty over their next manager.

Premier League
PA PhotosOsman has been at Everton since 1997

• Blog: Why Everton missed Europe

The midfielder, 32, signed a new contract on Tuesday that will keep him at Goodison Park until the summer of 2015.

Osman's representatives had been in talks with the club for several months with a view to extending a deal that had been due to expire next year.

And he was keen to sign despite confirmation on May 9 that manager David Moyes would be leaving at the end of the season to replace the retiring Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright is seeking a replacement for Moyes, with Porto's Vitor Pereira and Wigan's Roberto Martinez among a long list of candidates being considered.

"We are not quite sure what's going to happen with a manager but I am still delighted to have secured my future here at the club," Osman told Everton's website: "It's time to take the family on holiday now, enjoy it and recharge the batteries for next season."

The new contract extends Osman's stay at a club he joined as a 16-year-old in 1997, making his first-team debut on February 2003.

He has enjoyed a successful personal season, scoring eight goals for Everton and making his England debut in a 4-2 friendly defeat against Sweden in Stockholm in November.

Osman said: "I am delighted to have put my signature on another contract and secured another year at the club.

"I have been here since I left school, I am a player and a fan, I love coming to work every day and I am delighted that's going to continue."