Europe news

Ranieri to remain at Monaco

May 20, 2013
By Ian Holyman, France Correspondent

Monaco sporting director Vadim Vasilyev has told Canal+ that the club intend to stick with manager Claudio Ranieri following their promotion to Ligue 1.

Monaco coach Claudio Ranieri
GettyImagesClaudio Ranieri's squad has been bolstered by several big-money signings

Some French media reports have suggested that sacked Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini could replace his compatriot at the Stade Louis II.

But having clinched a return to Ligue 1 as second-tier champions, Ranieri's job has been declared safe, meaning speculation over his future should now subside.

"We're very happy with this season, winning the title and getting back to Ligue 1. We're going to continue with Claudio, who is doing very good work," Vasilyev said.

On Sunday, City striker Carlos Tevez opened the door to a move to Ligue 1, telling TF1 there would be "no problem" for him to play in the French top flight.

Tevez, 29, is out of contract at Manchester City in June 2014, meaning this summer's transfer window will be the last opportunity for the English Premier League club to demand a fee.

French media reported last week that Tevez had already agreed terms with Monaco, and though a move to Paris Saint-Germain was aborted in December 2011, that has not put Tevez off the idea of crossing the Channel.

Tevez is reportedly on a list of potential reinforcements for the principality club, which is also thought to include Radamel Falcao and Joao Moutinho.