Southampton news

Pochettino: Top stars are safe

May 13, 2013
By Kristan Heneage

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino says he is not concerned about losing any of his best players this summer.

Mauricio Pochettino on the touchline against Everton
PA PhotosMauricio Pochettino has successfully steered Southampton to Premier League survival

• Rann: Anti-climax

The former Argentina international has helped the South Coast club to stay in the Premier League since replacing Nigel Adkins in January with memorable wins against Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Having previously managed Espanyol, a job in which he consistently lost his star players, Pochettino was asked if he feared the same fate may befall Southampton when the summer transfer window opens in July.

"I think there is a clear path that we want to be on," he said. "It is clear the club that I am at wants to keep growing and move forward and it has shown just that by getting new contracts to some very important players in the club."

Having also seen the club initially criticised for their decision to sack his predecessor, Pochettino was asked if survival had validated his arrival at the club.

"I'm not sure, I've been hearing the same question for four months now," he said. "It's not really for me to answer that question.

"We are very happy [to be safe]. The players have put in an amazing performance in the four months that I've been here. That's the work I can do, I can't speak previous to when I arrived. I'm very happy in the club, I'm very happy at Southampton in the city, I'm very happy with the supporters.

"I want to congratulate them and thank them because they've treated me very kindly, so overall I'm delighted to be here."