Transfer news

Atletico to sign Uruguay teen Gimenez

April 24, 2013
By Dermot Corrigan, Spain Correspondent

Teenage Uruguayan defender Jose Maria Gimenez looks set to complete a surprise transfer to Atletico Madrid.

Diego Godin and Cristian Rodriguez Atletico Madrid Super Cup
GettyImagesGiemenez will join Uruguayan compatriots Diego Godin and Cristian Rodriguez at Atletico Madrid

Gimenez, an 18-year-old centre-back who has impressed at senior level for his club Danubio this season, left his country’s Under-20 squad to fly to Madrid to undergo a medical earlier this week, according to reports in AS.

Danubio president Oscar Curutchet said he had agreed for the player to discuss a move, but still expected him to see out the rest of the current Uruguayan league season with his current club.

“It all happened very quickly,” Curtuchet said. “We spoke with Juan Verzeri, the Under-20 coach, to ask his permission, as he was already with the squad which travelled to Chile, so that he could fly to Madrid to do a medical at the team of Diego Godin and Cristian Rodriguez.

“It is all in the process of being worked out, it came about very quickly. What we know clearly, is that he will remain with us at least until the end of the current Campeonato Uruguayo.”

Cartuchet suggested third-party investors could be involved in the financial negotiations with Atletico.

“He has a three-year contract,” he said. “A financial offer arrived, which must be considered. Danubio own his economic and sporting rights. Then there are various third parties who are involved in the transfer, among them his agent.”

Other clubs had previously shown an interest in signing the promising defender, Danubio director Eduardo Pizzoni said.

“Gimenez is a very good player, he is highly valued, plays for the national Under-20 side and there have been various offers for him,” Pizzoni said. “We must be clear that, for now, there is absolutely nothing confirmed.”

In further positive news for Colchoneros, attacker Diego Costa has been cleared to play in Saturday’s Primera Division derby against Real Madrid, after an appeal against the yellow card picked up in last weekend’s 1-0 win at Sevilla was successful.

Controversy once again followed Costa throughout the game at Sevilla, but after reviewing TV evidence La Liga’s appeals committee agreed with Atletico that referee Jose Luis Gonzalez Gonzalez had erred in booking the Brazilian attacker for a foul on Geoffrey Kondogbia.

“Diego Pablo Simeone will be able to count on Diego Costa for the game next Saturday against Real Madrid at the Estadio Vicente Calderon,” Atletico confirmed in a club statement on Wednesday morning. “The committee voided the Brazilian’s booking in the 57th minute and, due to this, Costa is not obliged to fulfill a one-game suspension for having completed a cycle of cards.”