Manchester City news

Carlos Tevez gets driving ban

April 3, 2013
By Press Association

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez was ordered Wednesday to do 250 hours community service, banned from driving for six months and must pay £1,145 ($1,729) in court costs and fines after admitting motoring offenses.

Tevez, 29, was told he is a role model to millions but nobody is above the law after the footballer admitted driving while disqualified and without insurance when he appeared at Macclesfield Magistrates' Court in Cheshire Wednesday.

The £200,000-a-week ($302,140) Argentina international was caught by police, after an anonymous tip-off, leaving a Cheshire golf club behind the wheel of a Porsche Cayenne while serving a road ban on March 7.

Passing sentence, chair of the bench Elizabeth Depares told the defendant: "Mr. Tevez, you must realise you are a role model to thousands, if not millions, of fans but nobody is above the law. You should not have been driving.

"We have heard that you are sorry and it is now up to you to ensure you will not be brought back to court again," he said.

Tevez listened to proceedings from the dock with the aid of an interpreter, translating into his native Spanish.

Tevez had been issued his first six-month driving ban this past January after pleading guilty to two counts of failing to furnish information which related to incidents in which his car was caught speeding.

At the time, Tevez admitted he did not have a U.K. driver's license but denied he was driving his car when caught speeding.