Schalke news

Heldt: Veh did not reject Schalke move

March 26, 2013
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Schalke sporting director Horst Heldt has rubbished reports that Eintracht Frankfurt boss Armin Veh rejected the offer of a contract with the club.

Horst Heldt and Armin Veh had enjoyed previous success
PA PhotosHorst Heldt and Armin Veh had enjoyed previous success

On Monday, Veh announced that he would be extending his stay at Frankfurt for another year.

Earlier this month, the 52-year-old, who won the 2007 Bundesliga title with VfB Stuttgart, had been linked with a reunion with Heldt, with whom he had worked at Stuttgart. Indeed Heldt later revealed that the two had talked.

German tabloid Bild claimed a deal was all but done, and kicker reported that only details remained to be hammered out. But the director claimed that nothing was sorted yet.

"It's not my fault if some journalists stick their heads above the parapet and guess that something is clinched when it is not," Heldt told Reviersport on Monday.

"I have never denied that Veh and I have friendly relations and that we could both consider working together again after our successful spell at Stuttgart.

"Armin Veh has always said Eintracht Frankfurt is his first, go-to club. If he had decided against Frankfurt, the story would have certainly picked up pace. His decision for Frankfurt does not mean he decided against us."

Heldt also opened the door for current Schalke boss Jens Keller to stay with the Royal Blues beyond the summer, saying: "We have never ruled out that Keller could remain as our coach beyond June 30."

But he stressed that there was no rush, saying: "We will see where we end this season and then we will make a decision."