Wigan news

Prem chief joins McManaman row

March 22, 2013
By Kristan Heneage

The Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has said he believes Wigan's Callum McManaman should have been disciplined by the FA for his tackle on Newcastle's Massadio Haidara.

http://preview-soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1050832/richard-scudamore:-community-at-heart-of-premier-league-juggernaut
GettyImagesRichard Scudamore is urging clubs to back the spending plans

Haidara, 20, was taken to hospital after a knee-high tackle from McManaman that went unpunished by referee Mark Halsey. He said the challenge had left him fearing for his career.

It had been expected that the midfielder would receive a retrospective three-game ban, but the FA said it could not act as one of the officials had seen the challenge.

But Scudamore said an exception to that rule should have been made, adding: "I don't think anybody in the Premier League, perhaps bar Wigan, would have complained had the FA decided it was exceptional.

"That's where the Premier League is on this - I don't think the rules need changing. If they have the ability to deal with exceptional incidents, it looked to most of us that was exceptional."

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias had reacted angrily to the decision not to punish the Wigan player, saying the rules were "not fit for purpose".

In a statement earlier this week, he said: "We are disappointed to learn that the FA is not going to charge the Wigan player.

"Newcastle United, along with other clubs, have had players suspended for incidents reviewed after the game. Whilst not trivialising these incidents, they were not, in our opinion, of the seriousness of Callum McManaman's tackle on Haidara."