Abdennour talks up Barca move
Toulouse defender Aymen Abdennour claims he knows he is on Barcelona’s possible list of signings for next season, and says he would be more than happy to move to the Camp Nou.
Abdennour, 23, told Radio Montecarlo last Sunday that he was well of aware of interest from Barca, but unfortunately had been unable to take up an invitation to attend their recent 4-0 Champions League win over AC Milan.
“I know Barca are following me, me and at least four other defenders,” Abdennour said. “I almost went [to the Milan game], but the coach and president here asked me to stay to attend training the following day.”
The Tunisia international joined Toulouse for €500,000 from Etoile Sportive du Sahel in the summer of 2011, having previously spent a six-month period at Bundesliga side Werder Bremen. A left-sided defender, he has one goal in 22 Ligue 1 appearances this season, and also featured for his country in their disappointing 2013 African Nations Cup group-stage exit.
As Abdennour is under contract at Toulouse until 2017, any move would have to be agreed with his current club’s president Olivier Sadran.
“If there is an offer from Barca at the end of the season I would not say no,” Abdennour said. “[But] the president will be the one to decide.”
Barca are reportedly in the market for a defender this summer, having recently conceded in 13 consecutive games, the club’s worst streak since 1962. Continuing injury issues for captain Carles Puyol, 34, who last week underwent a knee operation, could also influence the decision.