Transfer news

Leonardo: No move for Rooney

March 15, 2013
By ESPN staff

Paris Saint-Germain director of football Leonardo has denied that the big-spending club have made any move towards signing Wayne Rooney from Manchester United.

Wayne Rooney bench vs Real Madrid
PA PhotosRooney was left on the bench against Real Madrid

Rooney’s omission from the Manchester United starting line-up for the Champions League defeat to Real Madrid sparked widespread speculation over his future.

Some reports linked the England forward with a move to the Qatari-backed Parisians, with The Times suggesting last month that a big-money offer for the 27-year-old could be tabled in the summer.

But Leonardo - who said “the door is always open” - was adamant that no discussions had taken place.

Speaking at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon after the Champions League quarter-final draw, he said: “Rooney, if he wanted to come, that’s something we’d be very happy about.

“Rooney is one of the best players in the world. But we never did anything, we never talked to anybody and, if one day we decide to, the first ones to know that will be Manchester United.

“It’s not the case now - there is nothing, nothing, nothing. We have not moved for any other player.”

He said former Manchester United player David Beckham “is very happy in Paris”, adding: “He is playing in a team that has big ambitions for the future, and he will be very important for us.”