Werder Bremen news

Bremen's De Bruyne in Twitter row

March 6, 2013
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Werder Bremen midfielder Kevin de Bruyne has become embroiled in a Twitter controversy, the Syker Kreiszeitung newspaper has reported.

Kevin De Bruyne
PA PhotosKevin De Bruyne said he had posted a picture of the contents of a sponsors' parcel

De Bruyne, 21, on loan from Chelsea, had been granted leave for personal reasons this week, but on Monday the Belgium international tweeted a picture of new shoes and shirts, leading to claims he had been out shopping.

The tweet raised questions among Werder Bremen fans, who have seen their team lose three consecutive games and fall behind in the race for Europe. Bremen boss Thomas Schaaf came under heavy fire after the weekend's home loss to Augsburg.

But on Tuesday, De Bruyne denied that he had been shopping. The 21-year-old said he had been sent a parcel by a sponsor and had posted a picture of the contents on Twitter.

New Bremen general manger Thomas Eichin did not rebuke the player, with Syker Kreiszeitung quoting him as saying: "He was granted a two-day leave for personal reasons, and has not done anything to upset us."