Dortmund target summer transfer spree
Borussia Dortmund chief Aki Watzke has said the club will spend big before next season, whether or not star striker Robert Lewandowski leaves.
Watzke told German TV football show Doppelpass that “a lot will happen”, but the 53-year-old, hinting at possible additions in both defence and attack, stressed: “We will continue to not spend more than we have earned.”
This season, Dortmund have earned around €40 million from the Champions League but may have to plan for a future without Poland international Lewandowski, who continues to be linked with Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich.
“We are not depended on a transfer fee,” Watzke said. “My wishful thinking: Robert is still with us next season. So far, nobody has contacted us. If a club approaches us now and offers what we believe is a lot of money, we will consider it.”
Borussia take on Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League on Tuesday after a 2-2 first leg away draw left them with a good chance of reaching the quarter-final stage for the first time since 1998.