Transfer news

Hanke told he can leave Monchengladbach

February 28, 2013
By ESPN staff

Borussia Monchengladbach striker Mike Hanke has been told he can leave the club on a free transfer at the end of the season. 

Mike Hanke
GettyImagesMike Hanke looks to be on his way out of the club

Hanke, 29, had been negotiating a new contract at the club since September but was told on Wednesday that discussions had ended and his services no longer required at Borussia Park.

“On Tuesday my agent and I went into Max Eberl’s (club general manager) office and wanted to tie up the new contract,” Hanke told SID. “There I was told they did not want to continue with me. The only explanation I got was the coach no longer wants me. It is a shock for me. There had been no signals.”

Eberl explained the decision, citing the club’s change in style as to why Hanke’s contract would not be renewed.

“Our idea of playing football has changed a bit since September,” Eberl said. “We have tried to let Mike know about our decision as early as possible.”

Eberl added: “It is evident that this is not a nice decision, but we have to keep the club in mind. The decision was not easy for us and we did not make it overnight.”

Hanke signed for Monchengladbach from Hannover in January 2011 and has played 66 league games for the club scoring 11 goals.

Last season Hanke formed a formidable strike-partnership with Marco Reus, contributing eight goals and four assists to help fire the team into Europe for the first time in a decade.

Following Reus’ departure, however, Hanke fell down the pecking order with boss Lucien Favre preferring new signing Luuk de Jong up front, and repeatedly saying that the pair could not play together.