AFC Champions League review

Winning start for Evergrande

February 26, 2013

Chinese champions Guangzhou Evergrande began their AFC Champions League campaign in stunning fashion by dispatching Urawa Reds 3-0.

Lucas Barrios put them ahead in the 16th minute and fellow forward Muriqui ensured there would be no way back for the 2007 winners just after the hour mark. Keita Suzuki put through his own net to compound the Japanese side's misery.

Guangzhou are already top of Group F after Jeonbuk Motors and Muang Thong United drew 2-2.

The K-League club twice took the lead through a Lee Dong-gook penalty in the fifth minute and Kevin Oris' strike in the 77th, but the Thai outfit hit back on both occasions.

Mario Durovski equalised for the first time on the stroke of half-time, while Jung Hyuk's own goal in the final minute rescued a share of the spoils for the hosts.

Another South Korean team, Seoul, had an easier evening of things, with two goals apiece from Dejan Damjanovic and Yun Il-lok inspiring them to a 5-1 win over Jiangsu Sainty.

Hamdi Salihi pulled one back for the Chinese visitors, but Mauricio Molina added the gloss to Seoul's already emphatic victory.

Elsewhere in Group E, Osmar Barba Ibanez's equaliser helped Thai side Buriram United to a 1-1 draw at J-League runners-up Vegalta Sendai, who took a 52nd-minute lead through Ryang Yong-gi's penalty.

Lekhwiya of Qatar came back from a goal down begin their Group B campaign with a 2-1 win over Al Shabab.

The UAE Pro-League side took a shock early lead through Edgar Silva but goals from Sebastian Soria and Youssef M'Sakni gave Lekhwiya a narrow win.

Temurkhuja Abdukholikov scored the only goal of the game as Uzbekistan's Pakhtakor defeated Al Ittifaq of Saudi Arabia.

In Group A, 10-man Teraktor Sazi FC sealed their fourth successive win in all ompetitions with a 3-1 triumph over Al Jazira of the UAE.

Mehdi Seyed-Salehi (37) and Javad Kazemian (60) put the Iranian side two goals to the good and although substitute Ali Mabkhout (79) halved the deficit, Masoud Ebrahimzadeh restored Teraktor's two-goal advantage before Mohammad Ebrahimi was sent off late on.

An own goal from Anderson Martins just after the half-hour and a second goal from Omar Al-Ghamdi ensured Al Shabab of Saudi Arabia eased past Qatar side El Jaish 2-0.

Information from the Press Association was used in this report