Transfer news

Hamburg hope to keep Son

February 20, 2013
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Hamburg maintain they want Heung-Min Son to extend his contract but admit they will listen to offers for the South Korea international.

Heung-Min Son
AssociatedHeung-Min Son has been a key part of Hamburg's bid for European qualification

Son, 20, has scored nine goals in 21 Bundesliga games this season but, with his current contract due to expire in 2014, there are rumours he may be sold. Over the past few months, reports have linked Son to Borussia Dortmund and several English sides, including Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.

“So far, no contact has been made and we have not received offers from any club,” Hamburg chairman Carl-Edgar Jarchow told Hamburger Morgenpost.

Son, who has won nine caps for his country, has become a key player for Hamburg and is also valuable as a marketing tool in the competitive Asian market, and the club’s general manager, Frank Arnesen, is hopeful the attacking midfielder will agree an extension.

“My goal is to prolong his contract within the next few months, and after our negotiations so far I am optimistic this will happen,” he said.

Son has helped Hamburg in their charge towards European qualification. They are currently sixth in the Bundesliga and could be a surprise contender for the Champions League, with fourth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt only three points ahead.

Should they fail to do so, though, they may need to raise funds, with the club having run into financial trouble over the past few years. Hamburger Morgenpost believes the club would cash in should an offer of €15 million arrive for Son, with reports in the English media suggesting Manchester United and Chelsea would be willing to bid around €11.5 million.

“If a club approaches us, we will listen,” Arnesen, who worked as director of football at Chelsea until 2011, said. “But it is in no sense our ambition to sell Son - we want him to prolong his deal.”