PSG news

Menez angered by snub

February 15, 2013
By Ian Holyman, France Correspondent

Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti is finding out an embarrassment of riches can also mean a wealth of problems with Jeremy Menez the latest player to allow his frustration at a lack of playing time to boil over.

Jermey Menez's mouth has got him into trouble with match officials once again
GettyImagesJermey Menez's mouth has got him into trouble with match officials once again

Things are going swimmingly on the pitch for Ancelotti, but after the Ligue 1 leaders' Champions League 2-1 victory at Valencia on Tuesday night, Le Parisien reports Menez had a heated verbal exchange with Ancelotti and even more so the club's sporting director, Leonardo, before stomping onto the team coach for the return to the French capital.

The French international's patience was sorely tried after being sent to warm up on the sidelines after Lucas Moura was left limping by a first-minute tackle. However, Menez only emerged onto the pitch at La Mestalla 14 minutes from time to replace Ezequiel Lavezzi, despite the fact Lucas had been forced off through injury eight minutes after the interval. Ancelotti chose to introduce Clement Chantome for Lucas.

Le Parisien claims Menez, whose contract expires in the summer of 2014, is seriously considering quitting the Parc des Princes. The former Roma man has played a full 90 minutes in Ligue 1 just once since the arrival of Lucas in January, though the Brazilian international's left ankle injury may mean Menez does feature against the club where he made his professional debut, Sochaux, on Sunday.

Lucas' problem has forced the hand of Ancelotti, who had been considering punishing Menez for his outburst by leaving him out of the squad as the former Chelsea coach did with Nene before Christmas. Nene publicly displayed his annoyance at not coming off the bench earlier during PSG's Champions League tie with Porto on December 4 and was subsequently frozen out of the squad before leaving in January.

Menez's participation at Sochaux may also depend on the fitness of David Beckham, who teamed up with Ancelotti's squad for the first time on Wednesday. The former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder, 37, had been expected to make his Ligue 1 debut against Marseille a week on Sunday having not played a competitive game since the MLS final on December 1.

Ancelotti said recently it was "possible" Beckham could play at the Stade Auguste Bonal, while his assistant coach, Paul Clement, told Sky Sports on Thursday: "He's in shape, no doubt about that. But he hasn't done a lot of work since the end of the season in the USA, so when you get to that age, it takes time to get back to your best. I don't think it'll take long, and we hope it'll soon be the case."

Clement did add, however, that Sunday's game may come too soon for the ex-England captain, who signed a five-month deal at PSG last month.