Transfer news

Ter Stegen Barca link is 'nonsense'

February 14, 2013
By Dermot Corrigan, Spain Correspondent

Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen’s agent has called a Marca TV report saying he was on his way to Barcelona “nonsense”.

 

Moenchengladbach's goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen
GettyImagesTer Stegen is a Germany international

The report claimed Ter Stegen, 20, would be the long-term replacement for Victor Valdes and had already agreed a pre-contract deal with Barca ahead of a summer transfer.

But agent Rene vom Bruch dismissed the story on Thursday, telling the Rheinische Post: "That is completely unfounded.”

Ter Stegen, a full Germany international who is under contract at Gladbach until 2015, has also been linked with Real Madrid but last month said he was happy to stay where he was.

“I still have a job to do at Gladbach,” he said. “Other offers are quite out of the question. I want to do my homework here.”

In January, Valdes’ agents told Barcelona that he had no intention of extending his contract, which ends in June 2014.

Speculation has linked Liverpool’s Jose Reina, Manchester United’s David De Gea, Espanyol’s Kiko Casilla and Valencia’s Diego Alves and Vicente Guaita with a move to the Camp Nou as his replacement.

Mundo Deportivo reported on Thursday that Valdes was likely to leave in the summer, with Barca looking for a fee.