Domingos quits struggling Deportivo
Former Celta Vigo coach Fernando Vazquez is set to take charge of Deportivo la Coruna until the end of the season, according to widespread reports in the Spanish media.
The club confirmed early on Monday that former boss Domingos Paciencia had left his position, after just six games in charge of La Liga's bottom club.
Paciencia offered his resignation after the dispiriting 3-0 defeat to Granada at the Riazor on Saturday night, but club president Cesar Augusto Lendoiro and captain Juan Carlos Valeron then urged him to stay.
The club confirmed via its website on Monday morning that the Portuguese coach had not taken training and was leaving, with sources telling Marca that the exit was by "mutual consent".
"The Portuguese coach Domingos Paciencia and his colleagues will no longer coach the first team," the short statement said. "Jose Angel Franganillo took charge of training this morning."
Depor are rock bottom of the Primera Division standings after losing their last four matches. Paciencia won his first game after replacing Jose Luis Oltra during the winter break, 1-0 at home to Malaga on January 5. The team then drew at Real Sociedad, but things quickly went downhill from there.
The much-travelled Vazquez, 58, took local rivals Celta from the Segunda Division to the UEFA Cup when at Balaidos from 2004 to 2007, and has also coached Lugo, Las Palmas, Valladolid, Mallorca, Real Betis and the Galician representative side during his career.
"I am happy for this chance with Deportivo," Vazquez said. "I know this is a difficult time, but I am sure that nothing is impossible and the idea now is to win eight games."
Paciencia's comments to reporters directly after the miserable loss to Granada, which featured a Depor own goal, last-minute penalty concession and sending off, suggested he had already made up his mind to go.
"I will think about whether I was wrong to come here when I leave," he said. "If something has to change and that means me leaving, then I will do as the club wants. The situation is not easy and I am worried about Depor. Whatever happens I hope that Depor remains. It was me who suggested I could leave. I am not throwing in the towel, but I have met with the president and the sporting director to see what is best."
The Galician club's off-field situation, with Lendoiro announcing earlier this month that they had entered administration with the squad reportedly owed back-wages, has further affected the mood around Riazor. Police had to disperse angry fans who wanted to confront both the players and the increasingly unpopular Lendoiro after Saturday night's game.
Speaking on Saturday night, the long-serving club president had said he hoped Paciencia would continue.
"It is not a question of our own doubts, it was Domingos himself who understood that he was responsible," Lendoiro said. "We insisted that we did not want this at all. In the squad and board there is unanimity that the coach stays on."
Valeron had told reporters that the players were behind Paciencia.
"On our part we would like him to stay, because we believe that this can be fixed," the veteran midfielder said. "He looks strong, but the situation is delicate."