Amorebieta facing Bilbao exit
Fernando Amorebieta’s days at Athletic Bilbao look numbered after club president Josu Urrutia said a contract renewal offer which had been on the table had been withdrawn.
The centre-back’s current deal ends in June, and he has been linked in the past with moves to Premier League sides Everton and Liverpool, Russian club Zenit Saint Petersburg and Turkish outfit Galatasaray.
Urrutia said that after talks with the player’s agents went nowhere, the club had decided to end the negotiations.
“I said before that the club had offered a proposal,” Urrutia said. “After various conversations with Amorebieta’s agents, and seeing that this was not being accepted, Athletic withdrew the proposal.”
Asked whether there was still a chance the defender, who came through the ranks at San Mames and made his first team debut in January 2006, would be at the club next season, Urrutia was firm.
“At this moment no,” he said. “Amorebieta has no [contract] offer from Athletic."
Now a Venezuelan international, Amorebieta has made over 250 senior appearances during his nine seasons at the Basque club, but has not featured much lately. He reportedly argued with coach Marcelo Bielsa after being blamed for a goal in the recent 1-2 home defeat to Rayo Vallecano.
French under-age international Aymer Laporte, 18, who has taken Amorebieta’s place in Bielsa’s starting XI, signed a new contract on Tuesday tying him to Athletic until 2016.