Brek Shea's £2.5 million move to Stoke has been completed after he was granted a work permit earlier on Thursday.
American winger Shea, 22, had already agreed the formalities of his move from FC Dallas to the Britannia Stadium after passing a medical.
He has signed a four-and-half year contract and said he was looking forward to the challenges of Premier League football.
Potters boss Tony Pulis, who travelled to Wembley for a work permit appeal hearing, told the club’s official website: “It’s fantastic news that we have been able to push through the deal.
“Brek is a very, very exciting player and one we firmly believe could go on to become an outstanding player for this club.
“He has terrific pace, a very good left foot and is capable of scoring goals. He has all the tools needed to be a success here.”
Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes said the transfer process had been “complex” but that the club had always been confident that they could complete the deal.
Shea said he was “ready to go” and added: “It’s one of the best Leagues in the world, and I’m excited to be here.
The appeal hearing took place because overseas players are required to have played 75% of their country's international games to be awarded a permit, but Shea has only played 14 in the last two seasons.
He has not played since August because of an operation to remove a bone in his right foot, forcing him to miss several United States internationals, but Pulis was successful in convincing the panel that Shea deserved a permit.