Arsene Wenger has dropped the clearest hint yet that Arsenal may not make any new signings in the January transfer window.
Wenger had previously stated that committing Theo Walcott to a new long-term contract was his first priority this month, but with the England international signing a new deal last week the Gunners boss has admitted he has not turned his attention to strengthening the rest of his squad.
In his press conference to preview the FA Cup fourth round tie with Brighton on Saturday he claimed Arsenal have enough depth in their squad to compete for a top-four position in the Premier League but refused to rule out the possibility of making additions if the right player was available.
“I don’t worry,” he said. “What I worry about is to get the players who are out injured back fit and to get the players who play for this club to perform at their potential. If we perform we can potentially not expect any miracle from outside, we have got to make things happen from inside
“If somebody else can strengthen our squad we will of course do it, I have said that many times but we have the resources inside to do well. We have two players in every position and that should be basically enough plus the young players we have in behind.
“But if we find the top class players in any position we will never refuse to strengthen our squad.”
Wenger also appeared to dismiss the idea of a move for West Ham midfielder Mohamed Diame, a player who has also been linked to Tottenham, Everton and Fulham.
He added: “We cannot come out with the names [of our targets]. We have not approached West Ham.”
And on the subject of Younes Belhanda, Montpellier's much sought after playmaker, he said: "No, no no. We are not on any French case, so you can cut all the French players out. You should go to Newcastle!"