Transfer news

Savio Nsereko set for Bundesliga III move

January 4, 2013
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Savio Nsereko, once hailed as one of European football’s brightest prospects, is set to sign a contract with Bundesliga III club Preussen Munster.

Savio Nsereko West Ham United
PA PhotosNsereko was once a big-money West Ham signing
In 2005, Nsereko, then aged 16, left 1860 Munich for Brescia and made his debut for the Serie A club the following year.

In 2008, the striker won the Under-19 European Championship with Germany and was named the player of the tournament.

The following January, West Ham paid a reported £10 million to bring Nsereko to London, but he made only one Premier League start in nine months before moving to Fiorentina.

Since then, he has had spells with Fiorentina, Bologna, TSV 1860 Munich, Burgas, Stabia, Vaslui and Unterhaching.

“London was the turning point,” he told Bild in a recent interview. “It has been downhill ever since.

“I made a lot of wrong moves and was never able to get on my feet again. I did everything wrong I could do wrong.” He said he had spent much of his money, adding: “Cars, clothes, women – I skipped nothing.”

In October last year, news broke that he had been arrested in Thailand and it was reported that he had faked his own kidnapping in order to try and gain a €3,000 ransom.

“There was no mocked kidnapping and I was not in prison,” he said. “My relatives misunderstood a text message and erroneously contacted the German embassy.”

But he said the incident had been a turning point, adding: “I knew I couldn’t continue like this.”

Now Munster could hand Nsereko a new chance to start his career, and manager Pavel Dotchev told the local Munstersche Zeitung: “Savio told me he had acted foolish, but learned from it and is looking for a fresh beginning.”

The paper reported that Nsereko could sign a contract until the summer.