Transfer news

Inter confirm Rocchi signing

January 4, 2013
By Adam Digby, Italy Correspondent

Tommaso Rocchi has been confirmed as an Inter player and pledged to help his new side “finish the season in second, hopefully just ahead of Lazio!”

Tommaso Rocchi scored Lazio's fifth in the 6-0 rout of Rabotnicki Kometal
GettyImagesTommaso Rocchi is looking forward to a fresh start at Internazionale.

The Nerazzurri announced the signing via their official website on Friday morning, in a short statement which read: “F.C. Internazionale welcomes Tommaso Rocchi to the club. The paperwork relating to the striker's transfer from S.S. Lazio has been delivered to the Lega Serie A offices. Rocchi joins Inter on a permanent deal.”

The 35-year-old striker was previously the club captain with the Rome-based Biancoceleste but has fallen out of favour under Vladimir Petkovic. He has made just three appearances this season, playing a mere 163 minutes for the new coach but hopes to do much better with Inter.

He told Sky Italia: “I’m certain that we’ll finish the season in second, hopefully just ahead of Lazio. Moving to Inter is an important decision for me. I’ll always remain closely tied to the guys in the Curva but I have a desire to play football.

“I wasn’t even the vice-Klose at Lazio. Seeing as I have not played a lot at all this season, I needed a change of scenery.”

Meanwhile, Petkovic has hit back at Mauro Zarate, saying he "tried in every way possible" to include the player in his plans.

Zarate, 25, has been frozen out by the club after refusing to be a substitute at the start of December but earlier this week his agent - Luis Ruzzi - told TMW he would only leave on his terms.

He said: "I have gone round Europe and there are no clubs interested in the figures President Claudio Lotito is bandying about. So the war starts now!

“There will be no loan deal because we have no intention of returning to Lazio at the end of it."

However, speaking to Panorama, Bosnian coach Petkovic said the player has only himself to blame for the situation.

He said: "I think it is his fault as I tried in every way possible over the last three months to get him involved.

"Maybe it’s a defeat for me too. Someone said the club forced certain decisions upon me but that is not true. The most important thing for me is the collective.”