Transfer news

PSG deny Beckham links

November 21, 2012
By ESPN staff

Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti has quashed rumours that David Beckham could be headed to France, insisting the club is not looking to add to its squad.

Beckham was linked with PSG after announcing he will be leaving LA Galaxy in December, but Ancelotti quickly denied the club is interested in signing the former England captain who was given an offer to join the French side last year.

"We didn't make any further offer [after last season]," he said. "We wish him well. Our purchases are over."

Beckham has been linked with a number of European, South American, Chinese and Australian clubs since rumours emerged of his impending departure after five years in America.

And ESPN understands that one offer on the table in China stands to see Beckham earn more than £1 million-a-month, with talks on-going.

But in an interview on Galaxy's YouTube channel, the 37-year-old gave nothing away, claiming he is focussing on the MLS Cup final before making a decision on his future.

"What's next? I haven't decided yet," he said. "I'd been thinking about this for a few months and I came to the decision a couple of weeks ago. We were just about to head into the play-offs so I felt it wasn't the right time to announce it.

"Now we're through the play-offs and in the MLS Cup final which is going to be in our stadium and in front of our fans I felt it was the right time to do so.

"I signed a two-year extension last year with an option in between and I just felt it was the right time to step down as a player here. I've had an amazing six years, an amazing, successful six years.

"To have been able to play in three finals - two at the moment but three in 10 days - and to have won a championship last year was a dream come true. Hopefully to win a championship this year and go out with a real successful story for me that was one of the reasons why I wanted to make this."

Information from the Press Association was used in this report.