Harry won't play say Victory

October 25, 2012
By Melissa Woods

Melbourne Victory are emphatic soccer superstar Harry Kewell is not returning to play at the A-League club.

Kewell was spotted boarding a plane from London to Melbourne on Thursday, sending social media into a frenzy that he was set for another stint with the Victory.

A club spokesman on Friday said Kewell was definitely not coming back to Melbourne to play.

"We've got a full squad and two marquee players and no money so he certainly won't be playing with us," the spokesman said.

"We have no money left in the salary cap."

The club said they had not been in contact with Kewell, who has been clubless since he cut ties with the Victory in June to return to England.

The 34-year-old international quit the club to remain by his wife Sheree Murphy's side while her mother is gravely ill in England.

Cross-city rivals Melbourne Heart also said there were no plans to recruit the Socceroos frontman.

There is speculation his return has been prompted by a fashion photo shoot and the Spring racing carnival, which Kewell enjoyed last year.

If he is to find another club in England it would almost certainly have to wait until the mid-season transfer window in January.

He has been linked to Premier League club Stoke City, championship clubs Blackburn Rovers and Middlesbrough, plus League One Swindon Town.