Hernandez shrugs off United transfer talk
HOUSTON -- Manchester United forward Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez, in Houston with the Mexican national team preparing for World Cup qualifying against Guyana, said he is paying no attention to transfer rumors in the British tabloids.
"This is always mentioned; you have to keep the due respect for the national team and when we are here, my head is here 100 percent," he said Tuesday after el Tri's practice. "I am grateful that I am being kept in mind for these two matches and I am going to take them with the same seriousness.
"You are going to hear the same thing always, but I am with the national team and my club is not my priority now, my head is in the match versus Guyana."
Jose Manuel "Chepo" de la Torres, Mexico's coach, also refused to address the rumors.
"The talk of Javier are rumors and don't do me any good," he said.
Since the $38.4 million signing of star striker Robin van Persie, the 24-year-old Mexican has only featured once in United's starting lineup in seven league games. He was not even among the substitutes when United began its league campaign with a 1-0 defeat to Everton in August.
Hernandez, who joined from Guadalajara in 2010, scored 20 goals in his debut campaign for United and a further 12 last year but has only started 34 of the 85 Premier League matches since his arrival.
Information from ESPNDeportes.com and ESPN FC staff was used in this report.