Swansea City news

Winger Sinclair's City move in doubt

August 28, 2012
By ESPN staff

Swansea winger Scott Sinclair's proposed transfer to Manchester City could be off after reports in Wales suggested the Swans had not accepted City's offer of around £6 million.

Scott Sinclair pen v Arsenal
PA PhotosScott Sinclair starred for Swansea last season

Reports over the weekend suggested that the Premier League champions had reached an agreement with Swansea on a fee for the former Chelsea player, who represented Team GB at the Olympics.

But it now appears that Sinclair, 23, who said this summer that he would not sign a new contract at the Liberty Stadium, may have to stay put.

Swansea have become frustrated with the progress of talks, and chairman Huw Jenkins took a swipe at City when he said matters were taking too long to be concluded.

"I would have thought if they really wanted to sign Scott Sinclair they would have dealt with it a little bit better than they have - but that's their business," Jenkins said.

"It has dragged on too long and I hope, one way or another, it will be concluded the next couple of days."

Sinclair came on as a substitute and scored in Swansea's opening day 5-0 destruction of QPR a Loftus Road, but was omitted from Michael Laudrup's squad as the Swans followed that up with a 3-0 cruise against West Ham.

Jenkins stressed that the arrival of any new faces at Swansea before the window closes did not depend on Sinclair's move to Manchester being concluded.

He explained: "Our proposed signing of a couple of players is not dependent on Scott's transfer out - it's more about numbers and making sure we have the right numbers in the squad."

Last week, Swansea first team coach Alan Curtis indicated that it was just a matter of time before Sinclair signed for City.

"[He is] not really interested in signing a new contract and I think Man City have made a bid," said Curtis. "So it's just a matter of time now before it happens and it's good for both parties."

Recent developments, however, would seem to leave the ball back in the Manchester club's court, and it remains to be seen whether they will attempt to rekindle the transfer.