Transfer news

Martinez: Moses deal at stalemate

August 23, 2012
By ESPN staff

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez says Chelsea are yet to meet their valuation of the much-coveted Victor Moses.

Roberto Martinez
PA PhotosRoberto Martinez wants to reach the FA Cup with Wigan

• Whelan warns Chelsea over Moses
• Live Transfer Blog: On the Move

Moses, 21, has been heavily linked with a move for to Stamford Bridge, but Wigan want £9 million for their main asset, a price Chelsea are not willing to pay.

The Nigeria international, ironically, played in Wigan's opener against Chelsea on Sunday, putting in an impressive performance considering the circumstances.

But at his press conference prior to the club's game against Southampton, Martinez claimed that the two clubs were still at a stalemate over Moses.

Asked if there had been any further developments with regards Moses, the Spaniard answered "not at all'', and pressed as to whether or not he had heard anything from Chelsea, Martinez replied: "No. You are asking the wrong man, in that respect.''

He said: "You will get all sorts of speculation and talk, but the reality is, every player has a valuation. If a club matches that valuation, then maybe you have to sit down with the player and there is a decision to be made.

"Here, for all the talk and speculation, we have never had an offer which matches what the club wants - so at that point, all the rest is cheap talk. Victor is an incredible young man and I think the maturity he showed on Sunday is not normal in a 21-year-old. It has been a real joy to see him grow over the last few seasons.

"We made a massive investment in him as a young man and we are very proud of him. If there is nothing to consider, it is not an issue.''

Moses joined Wigan from Crystal Palace on a three-and-a-half-year deal midway through the 2009-10 season for a reported fee of £2.5 million.