Transfer news

Inter expect Sneijder stay

July 14, 2012
By ESPN staff

Inter Milan boss Andrea Stramaccioni expects Wesley Sneijder to stay at the club but has acknowledged that the midfielder would be sold at the right price.

Wesley Sneijder
AssociatedWesley Sneijder: Not leaving Inter

• Inter confirm Lucas interest
• Sneijder's agent quells Anzhi reports

Following the Treble-winning season of 2009-10 under Jose Mourinho, Inter have adopted a more financially prudent approach to the transfer market as the ramifications of UEFA's Financial Fair Play plan loom.

Club president Massimo Moratti had been willing to cash in on Sneijder, 28, last year, but the sale of Samuel Eto'o to Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala eased their financial concerns. Even so, there has been fresh talk of Sneijder moving on this summer - with Anzhi reported to be most eager to sign the Netherlands international - but Stramaccioni has indicated that they are not looking to offload him.

"As far as I know, he is an Inter player and will stay here," he said in La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I haven't had any news to the contrary from the director, the club or the player himself.

"Apart from that, I'm sure that if an offer comes in like that for Ibrahimovic or Thiago Silva then anyone can be sold, except for Cordoba and Zanetti."

While they are looking to retain these and other experienced stars, Inter are looking for Stramaccioni to introduce a greater emphasis on youth, and it appears Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho will be a key part of his plans.

Coutinho, 20, was allowed to join Espanyol on loan last season during Claudio Ranieri's spell in charge at Inter, Stramaccioni said: "Phillipe is one of the most talented players in this new Inter side. He is very important to us. We often forget that he's only 20 years old. He has matured in Spain and I like him a lot."

Stramaccioni also suggested that Italy forward Giampaolo Pazzini is unlikely to be at Inter next season.

"I know that Giampaolo is a highly valued player but I have no problem in saying that at the centre of this situation is a choice of mine: my first option for centre-forward is Diego Milito," he said. "Based on this decision, Inter has the right to make its strategic valuations in the transfer-market."

Sampdoria midfielder Andrea Poli, 22, was reported to be close to joining Inter, but his agent, Giovanni Branchini, had said that the parties had failed to agree terms and Stramaccioni said: "I have high regard for Poli but, as sometimes happens, there are dynamics of the transfer market outside the control of either of us.

"I don't think that the negotiations have gone as the club expected, which can also happen sometimes."