Nottingham Forest news

Cotterill dismayed by Forest sacking

July 13, 2012
By ESPN staff

Steve Cotterill has spoken of his "deep disappointment" at being sacked by the new owners of Nottingham Forest.

Steve Cotterill (r) has found it tough goaing since swapping Portsmouth for Nottingham Forest.
PA PhotosSteve Cotterill (right) succeeded Steve McClaren

Former Wimbledon striker Cotterill endured a difficult start to his spell in charge at the City Ground, where he took over following Steve McClaren's ill-fated reign, but recovered to keep the club in the Championship.

The Al-Hasawi family assumed control of Forest on Tuesday - and only 48 hours later, Cotterill had been relieved of his duties. It is unclear who the new owners have in mind to take over from him, but reports claim Glenn Hoddle and Roy Keane are early contenders.

In a statement issued through the League Managers' Association, Cotterill, 47, said: "I am deeply disappointed that I will no longer have the opportunity to manage Nottingham Forest Football Club and lead the team into this new era.

"I thoroughly enjoyed my time in charge at the City Ground. Last season, after taking charge in difficult circumstances, I was proud to guide Forest clear of relegation and ultimately bring back some stability to the club.

"I fully appreciate that, in football, a change of ownership can unfortunately lead to a change of manager.

"Despite this, I believed the team's performances last season were good enough for me to be given a chance with the new regime and continue to build again for the new season. Nevertheless, I wish the club every success for the future."

Cotterill thanked his staff, the Forest players and fans, saying he had enjoyed a "fantastic relationship" with them during his time in charge.

He said the issue of his dismissal was in the hands of the LMA, adding: "I will therefore be making no further comment at this stage."