Europe news

Mourinho sees eye-poke ban lifted

July 10, 2012
By ESPN staff

The two-match ban handed to Real Madrid head coach Jose Mourinho for poking Barcelona's Tito Vilanova in the eye has been lifted.

Real Madrid and Barcelona come to blows once again
GettyImagesReal Madrid and Barcelona come to blows once again

• Mourinho banned and fined for eye poke
• Mourinho blames Barca for eye poke

Mourinho was caught on camera poking the eye of Vilanova, Barcelona's assistant coach at the time, after the final whistle in Barca's 5-4 aggregate win over Real in the Spanish Super Cup last August.

The Portuguese was ultimately handed a two-match suspension while Vilanova, now the Barca manager, was given a one-match ban for his part in the fracas, which was sparked by a challenge from Marcelo on Cesc Fabregas.

However, as part of an amnesty by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), the bans have been overturned - meaning the two coaches will be on the touchline when Madrid meet Barcelona in the two-legged Spanish Super Cup next month.

"Match bans up to four games and stadium bans up to two games will not be enforced," the RFEF ruled, a note distributed at its general assembly in Madrid said.

Barca president Sandro Rosell is unlikely to be happy with the decision after he said last month: "We do not accept that an aggression towards our coach is not punished. If this happens, we will speak to the appropriate party - we will not let it go unpunished."