Transfer news

Whelan hits out at Chelsea's Moses bid

June 19, 2012
By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Dave Whelan has told ESPN that he has turned down an offer from Chelsea for Victor Moses and accused the Champions League winners of "taking the Mickey".

Victor Moses celeb v Norwich
EmpicsVictor Moses: Wanted by Chelsea

Wigan chairman Whelan feels Chelsea are trying to take advantage of Moses' contractual position - he has only 12 months remaining on his current terms and has so far stalled on discussions to extend his deal.

Whelan told ESPN: "Chelsea would need to get realistic before we would even listen to them. They made a bid at 6pm last night and we turned it down flat.

"Roberto Martinez has brought this player on and he needs at least another year with Roberto to become a top player.

"We have offered him a new contract but it seems the agent, more than the player, wants to move him on, at least that is the impression we are getting.

"It cannot be for the player's good. Victor Moses needs another year or two before moving to a club like Chelsea. He needs games and he won't be first choice at Chelsea, I wouldn't have thought.

"We don't need to sell him with 12 months to go on his contract because he is under 24 so wouldn't be going on a free transfer.

"Ideally we would like him to sign a new contract, or a club like Chelsea would have to be realistic. At the moment, they are taking the Mickey with the bid they've made."

Moses would be valued at close to £10 million, but ESPN understands that Chelsea's offer was around the £4 million mark.