Manchester United news

Leverkusen rule out Berbatov move

May 31, 2012
By ESPN staff

Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov's future remains up in the air after his former club Bayer Leverkusen ruled out the possibility of signing him.

PA PhotosDimitar Berbatov has joined Fulham from United

Earlier this month, Berbatov, 31, said his time at Old Trafford was "running out" and that he no longer felt valued at the club he left Tottenham for in 2008.

But Leverkusen - where the Bulgarian spent five seasons before switching to London - say they would not be able to meet United's asking price.

The club's chief executive, Wolfgang Holzhauer, told the Rheinische Post: "We are looking to find a striker, one that works well alongside Stefan Kiessling.

"However, the return of Berbatov is not an option for us. We are still on good terms with him, but he would only be an option if he was available on a free transfer."