Bayern Munich news

Robben future up in the air

April 30, 2012
By ESPN staff

Arjen Robben's alleged punch-up with Franck Ribery could force him to leave Bayern Munich, with the Dutchman claiming "recent developments" have led him to reconsider his situation at the Bundesliga club.

Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery dispute a first-half free-kick in the 2-1 victory over Real Madrid
GettyImagesArjen Robben and Franck Ribery dispute a first-half free-kick in the 2-1 victory over Real Madrid

• Bayern blog: Butt, Dante, DvB, Robben

Bayern's president Uli Hoeness has confirmed that negotiations with Robben over a new contract have broken down and the forward's future at the Allianz Arena is now in doubt.

Hoeness said: "All I know is that he was just about to put pen to paper, and now that has all been postponed."

Robben and Ribery are reported to have come to blows in the dressing room after a discussion over who should have taken a free-kick during their Champions League semi-final victory against Real Madrid.

Sport Bild magazine claimed Ribery punched Robben in the face and pictures appeared after the game with latter sporting a cut under his right eye.

Bayern closed ranks regarding the alleged incident at the time. Media director Markus Horwick said "whatever happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room" and manager Jupp Heynckes refused to confirm or deny the incident.

However, on Monday Robben told Kicker magazine: "Franck knows that he cannot do what he did. These are all things which are not positive and not pretty, therefore I need to consider everything really well."

On the possibility of signing a new contract with Bayern, Robben said: "We will have to wait and see - there have been lots of recent developments."

Netherlands international Robben has a year left to run on his current deal but has admitted he is now considering his future.

"There are a few different options," he said. "That is normal when you are at a top club and people know what I am capable of."

Meanwhile, Daniel van Buyten has signed a one-year extension to his expiring contract to keep him with Bayern until 2013.

The Belgian, who is set for a place in Bayern's starting XI in the Champions League final due to the suspension of Holger Badstuber, has been with the club since 2006, although he has only made 13 appearances this season, the last of which came in January.

Since then, he has been sidelined with a broken toe, but he is now on the road to recovery. He has played a total of 133 games for the Bundesliga club and can now expect to add more to that tally next season.

"We are pleased that Daniel will still be playing for Bayern Munich next season,'' said Bayern's director of sport Christian Nerlinger on his club's website. "We know what we get with him. His qualities and experience will remain an important component of our squad in future.''

The former Manchester City defender has won the league and cup double twice during his six years with Bayern and is set to take part in his second Champions League final against Chelsea on May 19.