Transfer news

Santos claim Willian will join Chelsea

February 7, 2012
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Santos president Luis Alvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro claims his side have been outbid by Chelsea in the race to sign Shakhtar Donetsk's Willian and says the forward will move to Stamford Bridge in the summer.

Willian celeb
GettyImagesWillian earned a nomination for the Samba Gold Trophy in 2011

• Villas-Boas: No Willian bid yet

Willian, 23, was linked with a move to Chelsea in the January transfer window but a deal failed to come to fruition, with his club reportedly demanding £29 million for his signature.

Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas has, though, previously admitted the attacking midfielder is an "an interesting player", and now Santos have suggested they have lost out in the race to land Willian.

Ribeiro told Jornal da Manha: "We gave up because of a proposal that they [Shakhtar] received from Chelsea. It was an offer of tens of millions of euros. It seems that he will go there in the middle of the year."

Meanwhile, the agent of Juventus winger Milos Krasic has suggested Chelsea will try and sign the player in the summer.

Krasic's future at the Serie A side remains in some doubt, despite a mooted move away from the club in January failing to materialise.

Nevertheless, his agent Valado Borozan has confirmed the Serbia international would be interested in a move in the summer - and that Chelsea are one of the many clubs who have recently shown an interest in him.

"In this moment Milos wants to stay at Juventus. There is no need to work on Krasic - we have to wait and see what will happen," Borozan told calciomercato.it. "Milos is appreciated everywhere, so we'll see which side will come forward between now and June.

"He is under contract and so far there has not been a need to start talking to other clubs. Chelsea? They are interested in the player and they are one of the clubs he likes."