He probably won't thank his manager for sharing this but Oxford United midfielder Adam Chapman played through the pain barrier during his side's 3-1 victory over Wycombe in League Two on Saturday after suffering a badly burnt nipple the night before.
Yeesh. There's three words you never like to see in close proximity: 'Badly', 'burnt' and 'nipple'.
It turns out that Chapman was attempting to feed his baby son, but instead somehow managed to pour scalding milk all over himself, burning his nipple so badly that a trip to the local hospital was required.
With a mischievous glint in his eye, Oxford United boss Chris Wilder leaked the story to BBC Radio Oxford:
“It’s ridiculous. It is a new one for me, hopefully he’ll be okay in the future.
“I got out of bed early on Saturday like a good professional, making sure we’re all alright for the game. I picked up a text on my phone that got sent last night (Friday) from Andy Lord our physio.
“Adam Chapman, like this good dad he is, was making his baby some milk and he managed to shake the bottle up and down, but he didn’t put the lid back on properly.
“He burnt his chest and had to go to hospital for a check up. He’s burnt all his nipple. It’s an unusual injury, but he’s managed to play the game. We talk about injuries and what I have to go through in this job.”
Sounds nasty, though it could have been far, far worse - just ask Kevin Kyle.
The former Sunderland, Coventry, Kilmarnock and current Rangers target man once managed the exact same feat while attempting to bottle-feed his young lad back in 2006, the only difference being that Kyle managed to cascade the pan of boiling moo juice directly into his lap, causing serious burns to what he diplomatically called his 'inner thigh'.
(Via BBC Sport)