Whittingham's sublime strike earns valuable point for Cardiff

Posted by Michael Morris

Cardiff celebrate after drawing level through Peter Whittingham.GettyImagesCardiff celebrate after drawing level through Peter Whittingham.

It was billed as the first relegation six pointer of the season. Newly promoted sides Cardiff and Hull met at the KC Stadium after both sides started the Premier League season with a decent return from the opening three fixtures.

For both teams this season will be about survival and both teams will be looking to key fixtures where they can pick up wins to collect the three points that seem a far greater reward in the Premier League.

Hull's first three matches included away games at Chelsea and Man City, which, as expected, they lost both, and a home fixture against Norwich. They won that one to have a three point haul from three games.

Cardiff disappointed with defeat away at West Ham, but responded by beating Man City and drawing with Everton at Cardiff City Stadium.

When the full-time whistle blew at the KC Stadium the game had ended 1-1 so a vital point for both sides but Hull as the home side will see it as points dropped. As a Cardiff fan who drove a 500+ mile round trip I was happy to come away with a point gained.

Hull lead at half time thanks to Curtis Davies' 40th minute header but there were two incidents prior to that goal that could have shaped the game differently. On seven minutes Joe Lewis parried a shot and former Swansea player Danny Graham fired high and wide in front of an open goal. Graham has not scored a goal since leaving Swansea for Sunderland in January 2013 and if he had finished like any decent striker then Hull might have gone on to take more control of the game.

Less than 10 minutes later the superb Kevin Theophile-Catherine, a late summer signing for Cardiff, beat two challenges down the right hand side to cross for Kim Bo-Kyung. Cardiff's South Korean midfielder went down under a challenge in the box from James Chester but the referee waved play on.

Graham's miss was a glaring error from the striker. He was given plenty of stick from the Cardiff fans because of his previous employment with Swansea. He was actually linked with a move to Cardiff. Thankfully Malky Mackay looked elsewhere for his new attacking options.

Kimbo's claim was far more subjective. From my viewpoint 100 yards away I did not have a clear view. After seeing a replay on TV there was a definite contact from Chester and Cardiff should have had a penalty. It wasn't a trip, more a standing on Kim's foot but it was contact and the referee (who I thought made other poor decisions -- like booking Campbell for one challenge but allowing Huddlestone to foul at will), was adamant in his refusal to accept Kim had been fouled.

If either chance had been converted the game could have been different. At such an early stage the advantage could have been built upon. With Hull scoring so close to half time Cardiff were able to regroup and come out after half time on the offensive. And though Hull created chances after breaking down Cardiff attacks they had no answer to the move of the game that saw Steve Caulker feed Fraizer Campbell, with one touch he passed wide to Don Cowie and his first time cross was met by Peter Whittingham to volley the equaliser.

The draw is a better point for Cardiff than Hull and it's now three games unbeaten for the Bluebirds. With Spurs the visitors this weekend it will be some achievement if Cardiff can make it four unbeaten in a row.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.